This course will provide the student with a more intensive introduction to the field of Emergency Medicine and the approach to the acutely ill or injured patient. Particular emphasis is placed on the acute evaluation of the undifferentiated patient in close collaboration with seasoned clinical preceptors. Students from outside UK and from UK interested in a career in emergency medicine should take this course early the fourth year of medical school.
Learning Activities will include: adult and pediatric clinical shifts in the Emergency Department, Case Presentations to student peers, and attending resident lectures.
- Perform a directed history and physical and succinctly communicate this to a preceptor physician.
- Learn the approach to the undifferentiated acutely ill patient.
- Learn to manage patients who are ill whose diagnosis is uncertain.
- Develop and refine clinical skills pertinent to Emergency Medicine.
- Learn the core concepts of Emergency Medicine.
- Interact with UK emergency department faculty and residents.
- Develop the ability to quickly assess the patient’s condition using relevant history and directed physical examination with a selective use of ancillary services to arrive at an efficient and effective emergency assessment and management.
- Understand how the Emergency Department relates to other departments and services.
- Develop and improve skills in procedures used in the Emergency Department such as radiograph interpretation, suturing, establishment of intravenous lines, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, splinting, dressings, and other invasive procedures.
- Faculty & Senior resident evaluations.
- Student Presentations.
- Comprehensive written examination.
NOTE: To enroll in ER 843 for Period 1-Period 4, you must obtain the permission of the course director.
PREREQUISITE: Permission of instructor for Periods 1-4. For permission email Dr. Desai and Dianna Black with information regarding your career plans and why you want this rotation at the requested time.
FOR VISITING STUDENT APPLICANTS
- Visiting students are welcome. Apply through the UKCOM Visiting Student Program and VSAS.
- If you are applying for a rotation during the first four rotation periods (up to the October/November block) please upload the following to VSAS:
- USMLE scores for allopathic students
- COMLEX scores for osteopathic students
- A brief explanation of your interest in our program and your intentions for residency.
- All required UK documentation
- If you are applying for a later rotation period, you do not need to upload those documents.
- Offers of rotations in the Department of Emergency Medicine will be held for ONE WEEK ONLY. If you have not accepted this rotation by one week the day it is offered, the offer will be withdrawn. (Other departments allow two weeks for a response.)